Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Putnam County Cemeteries

 In August 2013, my husband and I visited Putnam County, Tennessee.  In addition to researching at the local library, Putnam County Court House, and Putnam County Archives, I was able to visit most of the cemeteries my Putnam County ancestors were buried in.  Betty Stewart Stark, a 4th cousin on my Stewart line, met us and took us around to the cemeteries where our Stewart ancestors were buried in.  In addition, Betty was able to show us exactly where the graves were located in the cemeteries.  

Stewart Cemetery
Cookeville, Putnam, Tennessee 

Preston Stewart
1815-1875

Nancy J Brown Stewart
wife of Preston

Family burials in Stewart Cemetery:

Several of the cemeteries visited were in the Boma community.


Smellage Cemetery
Boma, Putnam, Tennessee

Cathy and Betty Stewart Stark
2013 Smellage Cemetery

Betty and I are standing next to the headstones for Harrison and Sarah (Brown) Stewart.  Harrison and Sarah are my 3rd great-grandparents. The headstone are somewhat smaller that I imaged them.  

Headstones for Sarah and Harrison Stewart
Sarah on left and Harrison on right.
Close-ups of Stewart headstones
Sarah on left and Harrison on right.

Family burials in Smellage Cemetery:


New Home Baptist Cemetery
Boma, Putnam, Tennessee

Harrison Stewart's son, Elder Jacob Mattison Stewart, was buried in the New Home Baptist Cemetery in Boma.
Mary Lee Stewart and Elder JM Stewart

Emeline Brown & W.A. Brown


Family burials in New Home Baptist Cemetery, Boma, Putnam, Tennessee 

No comments: