Sunday, March 31, 2024

Happy Easter

Easter was one of few times during the year that our family would go to church.  Easter also meant that I usually got a new dress to wear to church, sometimes with a new Easter bonnet and gloves.  Mom made most of our clothes and she often made me and my sister  matching dresses.  In the photo below, we are standing in front of my Great-grandma Wilson's home in Cortez, Colorado.

Easter 1959

Favorite Easter Memory 

One of my favorite Easter memories was with Maymie and Elmer.  I was traveling with Maymie and Elmer  from Cortez to Yuma and we had stopped in Holbrook, Arizona to spend the night.  We stayed in an old hotel in the middle of town on main street.  Our room was up a tall set of wooden stairs.  Since the next day was Easter, I was concerned that the Easter Bunny would not find me.  Grandma Maymie assured me that he could find me no matter where I was.  To my delight the Easter Bunny did manage to find where I was staying and left an Easter Basket full of goodies in the hotel room.


 As we were leaving our room and walking down the wooden stairs, Maymie bent down and picked up something that was on a stair tread.  She then explained, "See what the Easter Bunny dropped!  It's his pencil - look at all his tooth marks on it."

Maymie then handed me the Easter Bunny pencil with his tooth marks all over it. I was so excited to have a pencil that had actually belonged to the Easter Bunny🐰.  I loved that pencil even more than the Easter Basket full of Easter goodies! 



Least Favorite Easter Memory
🙁🙁🙁
This happened one Easter when living in Yuma, Arizona.  While reaching for an Easter egg hidden down in some tall grass, I was bitten by a scorpion - a small lighter colored scorpion.  My hand and wrist became swollen and painful, and I was quite sick for a bit.  I remember laying on the sofa and icing my hand and arm for what seemed like days.  After that unfortunate incident, I was a bit more careful of where I placed my hand. 
  

No comments: