Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Yuma City Policeman

Don Markham 
1933-1959

Don Markham 

Don Markham was one of my father's closest friends.  They met while attending Yuma Union High School together.   After high school, each married their sweetheart.  The two couples became the best of friends.  Later, both men became law enforcement officers in Yuma; Don a Yuma City Police Patrolman and LeRoy a Yuma County Deputy Sheriff.  LeRoy and Don continued to stay close until Don's death in 1959.

Recently while going through a box belonging to my father, I found some photos he had cherished and saved of Don.  

Don and LeRoy

Don, LeRoy, and friends


Gilbert Barnett, Don Markham, Wilbur Martin


 Having a Good time in Long Beach
Martins on left and Markhams on right

Don Darrell Markham, born 3 May 1933 in Mills Springs, Missouri, was the son of Cliff and Dorothy Markham.  When Don was just a couple years old, the Markham family moved to Somerton, Yuma County, Arizona.  Don attended Yuma Union High School.  Don's dad, Cliff, owned a Mobil Fuel Station in Yuma.  I remember as a child going to Cliff's station with my parents when they were fueling up their car.  Cliff would always give me a penny candy.

On 14 Oct 1950, Don married Joan Preston in Yuma County, AZ.   In 1951 they had a daughter.  Several more children were born but died as infants.  The Markham family continued to live in Yuma.  Don was one of five new patrolmen hired by the Yuma Police Department during 1957.

Yuma Daily Sun, 31 Dec 1957


Patrolman Don Markham and his parents, Cliff & Dorothy

Don started having health problems toward the end of 1958 and died on 12 Jan 1959 in Yuma.  It's interesting how some memories are with us forever.  I remember sitting on the floor in front of the TV watching an episode of Dragnet, when my dad walked in from the hospital and told my mother Don had just passed away.  They were both crying.  I don't think I had ever seen them so sad and so upset.  




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sad that he died such a young death.

Anonymous said...

I like how Don and Leroy both went into law enforcement together. My uncle on my mothers side is in law enforcement. -MM

Anonymous said...

I’m impressed that you are preserving his pictures instead of throwing them away. Especially since he’s not your friend or relative but was your father’s friend. Hopefully this Don has descendants who will appreciate them and your efforts in saving them.

Chase said...

Thats cool that they stayed friends through their lives. Bet they have lots of cool stories!

Rose said...

I love the “having a good time” photo! It’s so cool they were best friends for so long