Friday, February 16, 2024

Valentine Cards

 Valentine Cards

According to Wikipedia, Valentine's Day, also called Saint Valentine's Day,  is celebrated annually on February 14. It originated as a Christian feast day honoring a martyr named Valentine, and through later folk traditions it has also become a significant cultural, religious and commercial celebration of romance and love in many regions of the world.

Valentine's Day customs—sending greeting cards (known as "valentines"), offering confectionery (mainly chocolates), and presenting flowers—developed in early modern England and spread throughout the English-speaking world in the 19th century, and have continued to the present day. 

Valentine cards can be made by hand or purchased commercially.  In recent years,
e-cards have become  popular.  
I much prefer the traditional Valentine cards and have tried to keep the cards given to me from though-out my life.  Chocolates don't last long because they get eaten, although I do have an ornate heart-shaped chocolate box ๐Ÿ’ from 1972.  And flowers wilt, but I do have roses I dried and saved from past years.  

Cards are my one of my favorite parts of Valentine's Day, mainly because they are easy to keep and so fun to look at years later.  Below is a collection of some cards given to me by my husband from our 50+ years of marriage.

Collection of cards given
to me by my husband

Instead of a traditional Valentine card, this year I received a pile of
puzzle pieces in a purple envelope?!?




After putting the pieces of the puzzle together, a message from my husband was found๐Ÿ’• 


๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’Ÿ


Below are some favorite Valentines from past years.
Which is your favorite?

 Card from 1972


Cute Valentine from the 1950's

1934 fold-out Valentine
From family card collection

1910's vintage Valentine Cards
From family card collection




2 comments:

Chase said...

This is awesome! who knew grandpa was such a romantic!!

Jane said...

I love the 1972 card with the flower child holding a “love” sign. So cute!