Thursday, March 2, 2023

Snow, Snow, and More Snow

Snow ❄ Snow ❄ Snow

Not only has it been snowing all day, it's been snowing all winter.  Every time I think it will stop or warm up, it starts snowing again❄❄❄  I took this photo a few days ago from my back patio.  The weather reporter said we had 200% of normal snowfall so far this year.  Some of my family, mainly grandkids, love having all the snow in the nearby ski resorts where they are spending a lot of time.  But, for the rest of us, snow means shoveling and snow blowing and driving on slick roads.  Some of my growing up years were spent in warm sunny mostly hot Arizona, so this long cold snowy winter has been a bit much for me.  Or maybe, I'm just getting too old😉

The above photo I just took reminds me of a photo my grandfather Elmer Martin  took over 100 years ago at his home in Rock Island, Illinois (below, top).  And next is a photo of Elmer in his sleigh - a one-horse open sleigh.

 

More snow pictures - one with Grandpa Elmer in thigh-high snow and one of me in snow about the same depth.  Same pose for both of us - like we are balancing ourselves with our arms outstretched. Both taken in Cortez, Colorado - but about 20 years apart.  Looks like Elmer is keeping his head warm by first putting on a scarf then topping it off with his fedora hat, which he always wore.

Elmer abt 1947 Cortez, CO

Cathy 1967 Cortez, CO

News of the Snowy Winter 1967

Next is a 1983 photo of my four sons playing in the snow - maybe building a snow fort.  1983 is the last time I remember this much snowfall in one season.  That winter we also had snow all winter long that just would not quit, and then lots of flooding later in the spring😟.

 Love the moon boots the boys are wearing😍




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A.M-
I enjoyed reading this post because I didn’t know that my 2nd great grandpa had a one horse open sleigh!

josie said...

It's a dream of mine to ride in an open horse-drawn carriage someday. the picture of Grandpa Elmer in the snow with his scarf around his head looks very comfy. id be lying if I said I miss the snow, last winter was very long.

Chase said...

Some sweet comparison pictures! Hopefully it snows this much every year:) Also fun picture of dad and his bros playin in the snow.

Rose said...

An open horse sleigh would be so fun! The picture of the boys playing in the snow is so cute haha!