Michael & Mary Fulcher Box Family
Sources can be found at bottom of post.Michael Box, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 was born about 1780 in Laurens, South Carolina. He was the son of James and Mary Box. (Records created by Thomas Box, son of Michael Box, indicated that the parents of Michael Box were James and Mary Box.) Michael's father, James Box, apparently died. His mother, Mary Box, may have then married William Hellums. William and Mary Box Hellums had three children: John Hellums, Mary Hellums (Johnson) and Anna Hellums (Johnson). Throughout his life, Michael Box continued a close relationship with his Hellums half-siblings. Michael Box died 11 on 20 Jan 1841 in Tippah, Mississippi.
Michael married13 Mary Fulcher12 daughter of Cason Fulcher about 1797. Mary was born14 in 1779 in South Carolina. She died15 in Feb 1841 or 1844.
The following is from a collection of Box researchers:
- Michael Box, born about 1780, moved from Laurens County SC to Knox County, TN where his sons, James Francis Box, William and Thomas were born. Michael had married Mary Fulcher, daughter of Cason Fulcher, about 1798 in Tennessee. Wade in The Box Book indicates Michael Box was performing marriages in Knox County TN in 1809. By 1810, he was on the tax rolls of Madison County, Mississippi Territory (which became Madison County, Alabama) and his sons, John Box and Grief Johnson Box and his daughters Mary Box and Lydia Box were born in Alabama. During the War of 1812, he was a private in the 16th Regt. of Mississippi Territory militia. He served with his brother-in-law, Grief Johnson, husband of half-sister, Mary Hellums Johnson. They were apparently good friends, because Michael would later name his youngest son, Grief Johnson Box. In the 1815-1817 census of Mississippi Territory he was listed as Michael Box, 1 male over 21; 4 males under 21; 1 female over 21 and 2 females under 21; along with a Benjamin Box.On Feb. 28, 1818, Michael Box, his wife, Mary, and Mary Hellums, were received into membership of Bethel Baptist Church in Tuscaloosa County, AL. In the Census of 1830, Fayette County, AL, Michael Box, age 50 to 60, is listed along with his sons , William and John. The 1830 census for Michael lists the following household members (my guess to who they were in parentheses) : Males: 1 under 5 (?), 1 age 10-15 (Grief J. Box), 1 age 50-60 (Michael Box); Females: 1 age 20-30 (Lydia Box), 1 age 50-60 (Mary Box). On August 2, 1838, Michael, William, and John Box made application for Land Patents on Quarter Sections of land in Tippah County, Mississippi. The Certificate Numbers were 961 for Michael Box and 962 for William Box and both were for land that had been previously assigned to Joseph Warren Mathews. On November 16,1840, Lewis Garret and Thomas Box obtained a Land Patent for Quarter Section that was located in the area that became Benton County, MS. On November 28, 1843, Grief Johnson Box obtained a Land Patent for a Quarter Section. The 1840 Census of Tippah County, MS lists Michael Box, his sons Thomas, Grief J., and John and Elizabeth “Elspeth” Box, Michael’s daughter-in-law and widow of William Box. This Michael Box died intestate in 1841 according to Mississippi Supreme Court records and his wife, Mary, shortly after. The court records also state that Michael's estate started probate in January term 1844 in Tippah County, MS. (Note: Son, Thomas, states his father, Michael died 20 Jan 1844 and his mother, Mary, died in Feb 1844. But since probate started in Jan 1844, the 1841 year of death given in the court records is probably correct.) In 1846, his son, Grief J. Box, as administrator of Michael Box’s estate was sued by, Lydia Box McCollum, as a daughter of Michael Box. The value of Michael Box’s estate at the time of his death was appraised at nearly two thousand dollars with debts totaling less than thirty five dollars.Known children of Michael Box and his wife, Mary Fulcher Box: James Frances Box, William M. Box, Thomas Box, Mary Box Henderson, Lydia Box McCollum, John Box and Grief Johnson Box. Son, Thomas Box, became a member of the LDS Church in Texas in 1856 and provided family information to the church that indicated his father, Michael Box, was the son of James and Mary Box. Thomas also stated he was a grand-nephew of Stephen F. Box and 2nd cousin to Rolan Box (son of John Morris Box). That would make Thomas' grandfather, James Box, a brother to Stephen F. Box and John Morris Box. Upon the apparent death of Michael's father, James Box, his mother, Mary Box, married William Hellums. Mary Box Hellums' children with William Hellums became Michael Box's half siblings: half-brother, John Hellums and half-sisters, Mary Hellums and Anna Hellums. That would accout for Michael Box's close relationship to the Hellums family. Michael's son, Grief Johnson Box, married his half-cousin, Roenna Johnson, daughter of Anna Hellums Johnson.
Children of Michael and Mary (Fulcher) Box:
1. James Frances Box 16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26 was born about 1798 in Tennessee. He died27 in Mar 1860 in Kaufman, Texas.
James married29 (1) Penina Babb 28 on 15 Jan 1817 in , Madison, Alabama. Penina was born about 1800 in ,, Alabama. She died before May 1826.
James married30 (2) Elizabeth Matthews daughter of Joseph Cromwell Matthews and Penina Crisp on 15 May 1826 in , Lawrence, Alabama. Elizabeth was born about 1809 in , Madison, Alabama. She died in Aug 1850 in , Titus, Texas. She was buried in , Titus, Texas. James married (3) Jane Goddard on 10 Dec 1852 in , Navarro, Texas.
2. William M. Box 31,32,33 was born about 1801 in Tennessee. He died34 on 19 Dec 1838.
William married Elizabeth 35,36 . Elizabeth was born about 1804 in Georgia. What happened to Elizabeth and her children after 1840 is not known at this time.
3. Thomas Box 37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56 was born 57,58 on 8 Aug 1804 in Timbercrest, Knox, Tennessee. He died59 on 17 Mar 1881 in Farmington, San Juan, New Mexico.
Thomas married (1) Clarkey Carpenter 60,61,62,63 daughter of Richard E. Carpenter and Nancy Holliday about 1830. Clarkey was born64,65,66 on 15 Dec 1812 in , Amherst, Virginia. She died about 1881 in , San Juan, New Mexico. She was buried in Fruitland Cemetery, San Juan, Mexico. Thomas married (2) Belinda Marden 67 daughter of John Marden and Rachel Shaw on 10 Jul 1858 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah. Belinda was born68 on 24 Dec 1820 in Chichester, Merrimack, New Hampshire. She died69 on 19 Feb 1894 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah. She was buried on 21 Feb 1894 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah. They separated (divorced?) prior to 1870.
4. Mary Box 70 was born about 1806 in Madison, Alabama. She died between 1860 and 1876 in Texas.
Mary married Hugh G. Henderson 71,72,73,74,75,76,77 son of John Henderson and Nancy McLaurin about 1825 in Alabama. Hugh was born about 1796 in North Carolina. He died in 1855 in Titus, Texas.
5. Lydia Box 78,79,80,81 was born about 1808 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. She died 1856 in Henderson County, Texas. Lydia married George McCollum 82,83,84 about 1830. George was born about 1805 in South Carolina. He died 1855 in Henderson County, Texas. Their known children were Martha, Mary, Melissa, George W., and William. The family moved to Henderson County,Texas about 1850. Lydia's brother, Thomas Box, was also living in Henderson County, Texas in 1850.
- From the LDS church records, Thomas Michael Box, (son of Thomas Box) states that
he is the "Nephew-in-law" to George McCullom and Clarkey Carpenter Box stated that
she was the "sister-in-law" to Lydia Box and "aunt-in-law" to Martha McCullom.
With the Mississippi Supreme court records (January Term 1847), we now know that
Lydia Box married George McCollum.
A plat map of Fayette county, Alabama shows George McCollum owning
land in the same township as John Hellums & Mary Hellums. Lydia
McCollum also owned land. Hugh G. Henderson (Mary Box Henderson) also owned land in
the same township. So, we know that George & Lydia were married while living in
Fayette County, Alabama. (Lots of McCollums in Fayette county!) Luke Johnson, who married Anna Hellums, also owns land in Fayette County.
George & Lydia McCollum and family (ar least 1 son & 3 daughters) can be found in the
1840 Tippah County, MS census and 1845 Tippah, Mississippi State Census.
The Supreme Court case was in January, 1847.
7. Grief Johnson Box 86,87,88,89,90,91,92,93,94,95,96,97,98 was born about 1819 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. He died99 on 12 Jan 1874 in Cooke, Texas. No gravesite has been found.
Grief married Roenna Johnson 100,101,102,103 daughter of Luke Johnson and Anna Hellums about 1838 in Tippah, Mississippi. Roenna was born on 15 Oct 1822 in Alabama. She died104 on 3 Apr 1904 in Rush Springs, Grady, Oklahoma. She was buried105 in Apr 1904 in Rush Springs Cemetery, Grady, Oklahoma. Roenna and Grief would have been a half cousins to each other.
Please help with the below questions concerning the Michael & Mary Fulcher Box Family:
1. What became of son, William Box's, family after the 1840 census? Did his wife Elizabeth marry again? Did the children stay in Tippah county?
2. Did son, John, marry? Have children? If married, was his wife's name Margaret?
Sources1. Tax List , 1816 Resident's List, Monroe County, Alabama Territory.
2. 1830 U.S. Census , Alabama, Fayette County, pg 209.
3. 1840 U.S. Census , Mississippi, Tippah County, pg 209, 1 Jun 1840.
4. Family Information from David E. Box, Jr., 5726 Ridgetown Circle, Dallas, Texas 75230; Nov 1991.
5. International Genealogical Index , Family History Library, 35 N. West Temple Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84150, USA, http://www.familysearch.org/. Michael Box's son,Thomas Box, joined the Mormon Church (Church of Jesus Christ of LatterDay Saints) and in 1856 moved from Henderson, Texas to Salt Lake City, Utah. In the 1870's Thomas and his wife, Clarkey Carpenter Box, became involved with Temple work for their deceased relatives & ancestors.The following are the relationships Thomas & Clarkey gave for the Box family: In 1874 & 1876 Thomas states he was the son of MICHAEL BOX who was born 1780 South Carolina and died 30 Jan 1844; Thomas's wife, Clarkey, states she was the daughter-in-law to Mary FULCHER who was born 1779 in South Carolina and died Feb 1844."
6. Church Records. "Bethel Baptist Church Register, Alabama Records, Volume V, 50, Hunstville Public Library, Huntsville, Alabama.Record of the Baptist Church of Bethel Falls of Black Warrior, Constituted of 31 day of January, 1818.John Hellums a founding member.Michael Box and wife, Mary Box, were received into membership of the Bethel Baptist Church, Tuscaloosa County, Alabama on 28 Feb 1818."
7. Newspaper , Southern Sentinel, Ripley, Mississippi, 5 Nov 1934.
8. Timeline for Michael Box.
9. USGenWeb ,
10. Land/Deed Records , Tippah County, Mississippi, 1838.
11. International Genealogical Index , FHL#1149522, 5 Aug 1874.
12. International Genealogical Index Mary's last name of Fulcher comes from IGI -- Endowment house records of 1874 & St. George Temple records of 1878.In 1874 & 1878, Thomas Box performed temple work for his father, Michael Box and Thomas' wife, Clarkey Carpenter Box, performed temple work for her mother-in-law, Mary FULCHER Box. FHL#1149523Endowment House Baptisms for the dead, 1857-1876, heir index, 1855-1876Vol. F, page 429, Ref # 20373 Thomas had his parents "sealed" in the St. George, Utah Temple on 27 Nov 1878. Michael Box born 1780 South Carolina, Mary Fulcher born 1779 South Carolina, died Feb 1844 St. George Sealings, Book B, FHL#170596
13. International Genealogical Index. St. George Temple Sealings, Book B, FHL#170596.
14. International Genealogical Index. Film Number: 1149523 Page Number: 429 Reference number: 20373
15. International Genealogical Index .
16. Will . Kaufman County Konnections, Vol. 14, Number 3 (September 1995), p. 37._Published by the Kaufman County Genealogical Society, Terrell, TX_WILL OF JAMES F. BOX_STATE OF TEXAS_COUNTY OF KAUFMAN_17. Family Information from David E. Box.
18. Land/Deed Records .
19. 1840 U.S. Census , Texas, Red River County.
20. Mullins, Marion Day, 1846 Republic of Texas Poll List , Baltimore [Maryland] : Genealogical Pub. Co., c1974, Titus County, Texas, 976.4 R4m - FHL US/CAN Book.
21. County & Town Histories. Box, James F. History of Titus County Texas, Vol II pages 19, 51
22. Periodical. James F. Box, 1859 Will, Kaufman Co., Tx_Surname: Box, Volume: 14 Number: 3 (September 1995)_Periodical Title: Kaufman Kounty Konnections
23. Land/Deed Records , http://www.rootsweb.com/~txtitus/a_titus.txt.
24. 1850 U.S. Census , Texas, Titus, pg 131, hh 532, 7 Oct 1850.
25. Online Family Web Site . http://home.nc.rr.com/rwbaird/hayes/Solomon%20Hayes.htm#_ftn26; BOB'S GENEALOGY FILING CABINET; Solomon Hayes
26. 1860 U.S. Mortality Schedule . Surname: James F. Box Year: 1860 County: Kaufman CO. State: TX Age: 60 Gender: M (Male) Month of Death: Mar State of Birth: AL ID#: MRT197_32063 Occupation: FARMER Cause of Death: BRONCHITUS Source Information: Jackson, Ron V., Accelerated Indexing Systems, comp.. U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules Index [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 1999
27. 1860 U.S. Mortality Schedule , Texas, Kaufman County.
28. International Genealogical Index , FHL#1149523, 21 Jun 1876.
29. Marriage Record . Madison County, AL Marriage Records: Book 1, Page 334 License granted on 15 July 1817 James Box & "Bemima Bob"."
30. Ancestry.com , Copyright © 1998-2006, MyFamily.com Inc., Provo, UT, Alabama Marriages, 1807-1902; http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=7838.
31. 1830 U.S. Census , Alabama, Fayette County.
32. State Census , 1845 Mississippi State Census, Tippah County.
33. 1840 U.S. Census .
34. International Genealogical Index , FHL#1149522, 5 Aug 1874.
35. 1840 U.S. Census .
36. 1850 U.S. Census .
37. 1840 U.S. Census , Mississippi, Tippah County.
38. 1850 U.S. Census , Texas, Henderson County, pg 259/127, 15 Sep 1850.
39. 1860 U.S. Census , Utah, Salt Lake County, Salt Lake City 13th Ward, 1 Jun 1860.
40. 1870 U.S. Census , Utah, Salt Lake County, Salt Lake City 17th Ward, 30 Jun 1870.
41. International Genealogical Index .
42. Probate Record , Henderson County, Texas.
43. Land/Deed Records , Tippah County, Mississippi Deed Book D.
44. Land/Deed Records , Texas General Land Office.
45. Periodical , Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Vol 66 Issue 4, page 516-546, Apr 1963.
46. Timeline .
47. Court Record , Salt Lake County, Utah Civil and Criminal Case Files, 1852-1887.
48. Book , Utah Since Statehood, Volumes 1-4.
49. City Directories , 1863 & 186Salt Lake City Directories.
50. Land/Deed Records , Salt Lake County, Utah Land Records, FHL#929288.
51. Land/Deed Records , Henderson County, Texas.
52. Court Record , Henderson County, Texas.
53. Newspaper , Pioche, Nevada Court Proceedings -- SF Newspaper.
54. Book , Division of Animal Industry Brand Book, Utah, Dec 1874.
55. Book .
56. Newspaper , LOS ANGELES STAR VOL VIII, Saturday, 7 Nov 1857, No. 25.
57. International Genealogical Index .
58. Patriarchal Blessing Index , FHL #392638, Church History Archives and Library, LDS Church Historical Department, Archives/Library, 50 E. North Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84150.
59. Obituary , http://www.lib.utah.edu/digital/unews/.
60. Book .
61. Church Records .
62. Church Records .
63. Church Records , LDS, Early Church Information File.
64. Patriarchal Blessing Index , FHL #392638.
65. Church Records .
66. International Genealogical Index .
67. 1860 U.S. Census , Utah, Salt Lake County, Salt Lake City 13th Ward, 1 Jun 1860.
68. Patriarchal Blessing Index , FHL #392638.
69. Obituary , Deseret News, 20 Feb 1894.
70. 1860 U.S. Census , Texas, Titus, Prec. 11, Snow Hill P.O., pg 49, 1 Aug 1860.
71. 1830 U.S. Census , Alabama, Fayette County.
72. 1840 U.S. Census , Mississippi, Tippah County.
73. 1850 U.S. Census , Texas, Titus County, pg 96-97, 10 Sep 1850.
74. Land/Deed Records , Tippah County, Mississippi Deed Book D.
75. County & Town Histories , http://www.rootsweb.com/~msgenweb/county-hist/index.htm.
76. Land/Deed Records .
77. Land/Deed Records , Texas General Land Office.
78. Court Record , Cases argued and decided in the Supreme Court of Mississippi ..., page 619, 1847, January Term.
79. 1830 U.S. Census , Alabama, Fayette County, pg 209.
80. 1840 U.S. Census , Tippah County, Mississippi.
81. State Census , 1845 Mississippi State Census, Tippah County.
82. Court Record , Cases argued and decided in the Supreme Court of Mississippi ..., page 619, 1847, January Term.
83. 1840 U.S. Census , Tippah County, Mississippi.
84. State Census , 1845 Mississippi State Census, Tippah County.
85. International Genealogical Index , FHL#1149522, 5 Aug 1874.
86. 1840 U.S. Census , Mississippi, Tippah County.
87. 1850 U.S. Census , Arkansas, Dallas County, Polk twp, pg 07.
88. 1860 U.S. Census , Arkansas, Bradley County, Smith twp., pg 492a.
89. 1870 U.S. Census , Texas, Hunt County, Timber Creek P.O., pg 50/439.
90. State Census , 1845 Mississippi State Census, Tippah County.
91. Timeline for Grief Johnson Box.
92. Land/Deed Records , Cooke County, Texas.
93. Probate Record , Hopkins County, Texas.
94. Land/Deed Records , Hunt County, Texas.
95. Tax List , Cooke County, Texas.
96. Deed Record , Cooke County, Texas Deed Records, Book 70(?), pg 212, 20 Feb 1905.
97. 1860 U.S. Census , Bradley County, Arkansas.
98. Voting Registration or Lists , 1867 Voter's Registration of Texas.
99. Church Records .
100. 1880 U.S. Census , Texas, Cooke County, Prec. 1, pg 209/34 B, 19 Jun 1880.
101. 1900 U.S. Census , Texas, Jack County.
102. Deed Record , Cooke County, Texas Deed Records, Book 70(?), pg 212, 20 Feb 1905.
103. Death Index .
104. Cemetery Records . Rush Springs Cemetery, Headstone:"Roenna, wife of G. J. Box, Born Oct 15, 1822, Died April 3, 1901"Rush Springs, Grady, Oklahoma
105. Headstone . Rush Springs Cemetery, Rush Springs, Grady County, Oklahoma. Roenna Box, wife of G. J. Box Born Oct. 15. 1822 Died April 3. 1901 An open book on the top of the headstone reads: "All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the Lord and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship thee. Psalms 22:27" Engraved at the bottom of the headstone: "She is gone to the land where the weary Enjoy the sweet rapture of sacred repose."