Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Fishing

 Gone Fishing

 While fishing was a favorite pastime for many in my family, it was especially important to my Grandpa Elmer.  After WWII, Elmer moved his family to Yuma, Arizona just so he could fish during all of the winter months.  Sometimes Elmer would fish all night long.  Maymie would often go with Elmer on his fishing trips.  In addition to fishing around Yuma, Elmer also liked going down to Ensenada, Mexico to fish.  When I was young, I would also go with Elmer on many of his fishing trips.  I was probably about 6 years old when Elmer bought me my own fishing pole - just a simple little rod and reel.   The fish🐟 I caught (with Maymie's help) on my first fishing trip with my new little pole was bigger than Elmer's fish caught with his fancy fishing rod and reel.😊  

Elmer Fishing

Elmer often took Maymie fishing.  Good catch.
Yuma, Arizona

Elmer's wife, Maymie, also liked to fish.  This next photo shows her holding a big catfish she had just caught.  The photo is not very clear but you can still see how big the catfish is.🦈  Next is a copy of Maymie's 1943 fishing license.  A few interesting bits of information from Maymie's Fishing License.  The cost was $1.00 for a "LADIES" license.  Maymie was 37 years old, Height 5'2", Weight 110 lbs, Brown eyes, and Red hair.

Maymie holding catfish she had caught.


Maymie's Fishing License 1943

The Martin sons, Wilbur and LeRoy, also liked to fish.  This next photo is hilarious😂🤣.  Not only are Wilbur and LeRoy showing off their fishing "catch"🐟🐟, but notice that they each have a pant leg pulled up to show off their boots (maybe new?).  Wilbur has a pistol tucked into the front of his jeans.  And what's with LeRoy wearing a white shirt and tie?  And LeRoy's hat? They are standing in front of LeRoy's Willys Jeep.  Taken at Yuma, Arizona 1949.

Wilbur & LeRoy Showing Off their Fishing Catch and their Boots

While I never saw my Grandpa Baldwin fish, the following photo shows him holding a fishing pole.  He either just got back from fishing or is getting ready to go fishing. Four of his sons are standing behind him.  The sunglasses😎 and cap may be part of his fishing wear, because I always saw him wearing a western hat (cowboy) and never sunglasses.  Taken about 1970 at the Baldwin home in Montrose, Colorado.

Jess Baldwin going fishing

This last picture is my favorite fishing photo.  It is of my youngest son fishing in the Utah mountains.  He is sitting on the dam of the reservoir with his fishing pole and B-B gun across his lap - just waiting for a fish to bite.  



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baldwin Boys fishing pic, the hat and sunglasses belonged to Buck. Jess put them on for the pic. Buck is alot like Jess...

clm said...

That makes sense. Because I seldom saw Grandpa without a western hat on.

Anonymous said...

The last picture reminds me of the time I fought my first fish (Rainbow Trout) at the reservoir. -MM

Anonymous said...

The bottom picture reminds me of fishing at the reservoir, and not caching anything. -CJM

Madelyn said...

This post has inspired me to learn how to fish. I really admire how much grandpa Elmer enjoyed fishing! I love the picture of my dad at the end☺️it’s nice to see the family fishing through time