Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Weiss Family 1600-1983

While in college (1970), I took a beginning genealogy class taught by Instructor J. Grant Stevenson.  Prior to that time I basically knew almost nothing about my family's history.  Stevenson encouraged us to write to family members to gather information.  My paternal grandfather (Elmer Martin) had died a year earlier.  Since I had never met any family members from the Martin side of my family, I thought I would start with researching the Martin family.  I corresponded with Elmer's brother, Wilber Martin, who lived in Milan, Rock Island, Illinois.  He put me in touch with several other family members and eventually I came in contact with Alta Waugh.
Alta Sherrard
Alta Sherrard Waugh (1904-2004) was the daughter of Frank Wesley Sherrard and Emma Weiss.  Her mother, Emma Weiss, was a half-sister to my great-grandmother, Elizabeth Weiss Martin.  At the time I was corresponding with Alta, she was in the process of gathering material to write a book on the Weiss family.  She recognized the "budding genealogist" in me and encouraged my genealogical endeavors by sending me information, research, and photos of the Weiss family.

Alta obtained the help of German genealogist, Frederick von Frank, to gather records from Germany for the Weiss and Maendle families.  She also contacted descendants of the Weiss family from across the United States for much of her material.  

Fortunately, I was able to obtain a copy of Alta Waugh's book , Weiss Family, 1600-1983.  Below is copy of the title page, dedication page, and book cover. The book has been digitized and can be viewed by all.  It is found on FamilySearch.org in the Family History Books.


Alta dedicated the book to her mother, Emma Weiss Sherrard.


Book Cover


To view the digitized book on FamilySearch.org, click here.



Other Blog Posts about the Weiss Family:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey is there any way to still get a copy of the Weiss book?

clm said...

Since the author passed away in 2004 and left no descendants, I'm not sure who would know if there were any remaining copies of the Weiss Family book still available for purchase. Alta's research materials, photos, and books may have been donated to a local genealogical society near where she lived.
Try setting up a "google alert" for the name of the book. If the book ends up with an online book seller (used books, genealogical books, rare books), you would be contacted. In the past I have been successful in locating family history books on several of my lines by using "google alerts".
Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Has anyone been able to find out if there are any available copies of the Weiss book? If so please leave a comment. Would love to get an actual copy of the book and not just the online copy.

Ellie said...

Very cool that she compiled a book! And even cooler that you got in contact with her back in college to start your own personal family history journey! Look at all the work you've done because of that one class! Amazing