June 22 is a special and busy day in the history of my family. Here is a list of events that have occurred on this day:
June 22 BIRTHDAYS
1. Rev. Luther Cole was born 222 years ago, on 22 Jun 1790, in the town of Hancock, Berkshire, Massachusetts. Luther Cole, son of Nathan Cole and Judith Colburn, was the brother of my direct ancestor, Nathan Cole, Jr. Veteran of the War of 1812. Luther married Mary (maiden name unknown at this time) about 1815 in New York. Mary was born on 15 Sep 1789 in Vermont. Luther became a Baptist Preacher and was ordained in 1823 in Enosburgh, Franklin, Vermont. .He died on 9 Apr 1871 in Enosburgh. Mary died almost a year later on 2 Mar 1872. They are both buried in Enosburgh Center Cemetery, Franklin County, Vermont. Luther and Mary had no known children
2. Anna Catherina Weiss was born on this day 283 years ago, in Gammelshausen, Donaukreis, Wuerttemberg, Germany. She was the sister of my 5th great-grandfather, Michael Weiss.
3. Samantha Mary Ann Box was born on 22 Jun 1835 in Tippah County, Mississippi. She was the daughter of Clarkey Carpenter and Thomas Box. (Thomas was the brother of my direct ancestor, Grief Johnson Box.) Much to the sorrow of her family, Samantha died on 15 Oct 1844 at the age of nine.
3. Dennis M. Cunningham, the husband of Josephine Box (sister of above Samantha Box), was born on this day in 1832. Some records state he was born in Iowa, but one states that he was born aboard the ship coming to America from Ireland.
4. Little Barton Wellington Hatfield was born 22 Jun 1850 and lived only a month. He died on 25 July 1850. Barton was the first child born to John Martin Hatfield and Martha Jay, my third great-grandparents. It is always sad to learn of a child dying so young.
5. There are two June 22 birthdays in the Sadler family: Pearl Sadler would be 100 years old today -- she was born in 1912. Harvey Vernon Sadler was born in 1886.
6. In the Leffel family there is one birthday on June 22. Ruby Delbrugge, my mom's cousin, was born in 1917.
June 22 WEDDINGS
1688 - Martha Cole & Henry Sweeting
1843 - Amanda Miller & Jacob Croft
1856 - Elizabeth J. Wilson & William J. Roberts
1884 - Rhoda Hunter & Hiram Vinton Hatfield
1891 - Alice G. Dewese & S. J. Rinkle
1920 - Ella R. Spradlin & Roy E. Sheets